Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wagyu Carpaccio

Usually, the average steak menu has me at hello. A steak menu with an F1 Wagyu has me without any pleasantries at all… and a steak menu with Wagyu Carpaccio could slap me in the face, insult my family and tell me to never speak to it again, and I’ll still order it, tell everyone just how delicious it is, and secretly crave more.

Which, is exactly what I’m doing right now…

The Wagyu Carpaccio at The Park Hyatt’s Escher-like restaurant, Radii in Melbourne, is just that: delicious.

I could have had this dish thrown at me and I’d still be smiling.

Served with the tiniest portion of French onion soup, this starter (at $32) is an expensive one, but well, well worth it. The five finely cut slices of wagyu may disappear in all of 3 seconds but the taste, the texture, the density and the fat content blend together so well, that once tasted it’s incredibly hard to forget. The flavour has a really light fattyness to it and even though the steak is so finely cut, it's still almost chewy. The French Onion Soup (although extraordinary in its own right) was completely overlooked on this occasion (well, for the 3 seconds that the carpaccio lasted at least).

The one big con of this dish is that it disappears too quickly...

If you’re a foodie with self control, it’s perfect. However, ifyou’re a gluttonous so-and-so who ravishes their food, you’ll have it digested before the plate hits the table. You'll then kick yourself and pass filthy looks to everyone else you see who orders it.

Still, the kicking and the hatred for your follow diners is well worth it.

Park Hyatt Melbourne
1 Parliament Square, off Parliament Place
Melbourne VIC 3002
(03) 9224 1234


No comments:

Post a Comment